Saturday, March 8, 2008

Practicing less stuff

Since my last post, I've had many an opportunity to use less stuff in my day-to-day life. The most obvious being the casual use of paper cups when buying a cup of coffee (will I ever give that up?). I've taken to keeping a single paper cup in my car so that, in the event I want to grab a cup on the go, and don't have my travel mug, I can bring it in with me. When I'm done, I rinse it out and put it back in the car. Should last at least a month or so.

Lisa and I got on a plane to LA and I told them I'd love a cup of coffee, but only if they could bring it in a ceramic mug. Believe it or not, they did! The flight attendant grabbed one from first class and brought it back to my seat. And you just know it tastes better when it's in ceramic mug.

If you are local to Santa Cruz and are reading this, stop by our house and we'll give you a copy of that book I recommended, The Better World Shopping Guide.

My friend Joe Johnston, who has been working with Pachamama since October of last year, sent me in invite to a very cool new website: change.org. Check it out! It is a comprehensive set of web-based tools for connecting individuals and groups working on global change. I have yet to dig in deeply, but they clearly have a good team working there, so I expect good things.

No comments: